Diplomates in Active status are required to submit a statement of compliance of continuing education requirements and other professional activities directed toward maintaining current knowledge and competence in periodontics to meet Recertification requirements.
Beginning May 2013 candidates who successfully complete the Oral Examination will be awarded time-limited certificates of six (6) years. Diplomate must complete Recertification in the sixth year or lose Diplomate status and will be required to begin the certification process again. A one year extension period to complete Recertification may be requested due to extenuating circumstances (i.e. severe illness, etc). Requests will be reviewed by the Directors for approval. Ultimately, granting of a one year extension is at the sole discretion of the Directors.
Diplomates who were awarded certificates prior to May 2013 will continue to have certificates which are not time limited. Diplomates certified prior to 2013 who fail to complete the Recertification process on time will result in the individual’s Diplomate status being placed into “Inactive” status during which time the individual cannot claim to be “Board Certified”. This “Inactive” status will remain in place until the individual completes the Recertification process and is returned to Active Diplomate status. During this time the individual will not be recognized as and cannot claim to be a Board-Certified Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. Request for a one year extension to complete the recertification requirement may be requested.
Diplomates are required to meet BOTH of the following and complete the Recertifcation Attestation Statement:
- Completion of the self assessment Self-Study Recertification Program (SSRP) the year recertification is due. The SSRP is a self assessment program not a pass/fail exam. No study time is required before completing the SSRP (read more below).
- Completion of at least 60 points of continuing education credit.
ABP Self-Study Recertification Program
The continuing education ABP Self-Study Recertification Program (SSRP) is a Self-Study Assessment Program not a pass/fail examination. The SSRP must be completed by Diplomates the year that the recertification requirement is due; (i.e. if Diplomates recertification is due 12/31/21 SSRP should be completed in 2021).
The program is available to you for 48 hours. If you do not complete the program in 48 hrs it will no longer be available to you. The program is 50 multiple choice questions and must be completed in 48 hours.
The cost of the SSRP beginning January 1, 2021 is $250USD. The SSRP is purchased online and can be accessed by clicking on "The Self Study Recertification Program" listed under 'useful links and documents' on this page.
- CLICK ON the link "The Self Study Recertification Program" listed under 'useful links and documents' on this page.
- On the SSRP Home page, CLICK ON “PURCHASE TODAY.” The next page will ask you to enter your email address and create a password; continue to follow the prompts.
- The minimum requirements have changed as follow: Windows: New minimum is IE 11 (retiring IE 9 and IE 10), Mac: New minimum is Safari 9/OS X 10.11 (retiring Safari 8 and OS X 10.10, iPad: New minimum is iOS 9.3.2
- Minimum System Requirements,
We are upgrading the minimum security protocol on our servers to TLS 1.1 on June 25, 2018 to align with industry best practices for data security. Any web browsers that do not support TLS 1.1 or higher will need to be upgraded by this date to continue using this site or to continue delivering tests. Browsers that support TLS 1.1 or higher are listed below.
- Internet Explorer 9, 10, 11 Download latest version of Internet Explorer
- Safari 8/OS X 10.10 and higher Download latest version of Safari
- Google Chrome 41 and higher Download latest version of Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox 36 and higher Download latest version of Firefox
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT can be accessed by CLICKING on the 'HELP' tab located in the bottom corner of any open page of the SSRP or by calling 410-889-2200. Callers should refer to the ABP Self Study Recertification Program when contacting technical support.